The Lorain Police Department is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. The Record Room opens on a continual basis. Normal operating hours for the Investigative Bureau, Traffic Bureau, and Chief’s Office are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM.
- Common questions
Bicycle licenses are available through the City Auditor’s Office. They may be contacted at 204-2090. Their office hours are 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM..
Civilian fingerprinting is handled by the Lorain County Sheriff’s Office. Please contact their Record Room (329-3703) for exact hours and times available.
Copies of police reports are available free of charge. Reports may be picked up at the Record Room or they can be mailed out or faxed to you. Requests for copies of reports can be faxed to (440) 204-2541 or emailed to email@example.com . Investigative reports are not permitted to be released. You must allow 24 hours after an incident/accident is reported before you can obtain a copy of a police report. It typically takes at least 72 hours after an incident/accident is reported before a copy of a police report is available. Accident reports are available now on our website. Please go to “Accident Reports” section.
- What time does court start? Court starts at about 10 am Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- How do I contact the court/prosecutor? 204-2525 is the city directory with all the city phone numbers.
- Visitation is on Fridays from 7pm to 9pm for all sentenced inmates in the Lorain city jail. All persons that wish to visit an inmate at the Lorain city jail will be required to present a valid state photo id. Visits are for duration on 30min.
- Sentenced inmates are allowed to have 1 set of white thermal underwear, 3 sets of white undershorts, 3 white t-shirts, 3 pair of white socks. All articles of clothing that are dropped off for inmates at the city jail must be new and in the original packaging. Items for inmates may be dropped off during regular hours in the police station lobby.
- Inmates in the city jail may release personal property to any person of their choice. The person picking up the property must present a valid state photo ID and completed the proper forms in the police lobby at the records window. All personal property must be release, jail staff is not authorized to release only select items.
- All inmates will be released from the rear (north side) of the building from the man door next to the sally port. Times for release vary depending on jail activity and are done as soon as possible when an officer is available to walk releases out. Releases are done after all required paperwork is received in the jail by the clerk of court and no additional Holds or warrants exist from other agencies.
- During court hours (Monday through Friday 9-5 pm) all bonds must be posted at the Lorain Municipal clerk of courts. Weekends and after hours the bonds can be posted at the police records window with cash only (exact change please).
- Lorain city jail has no commissary and cannot except money for inmates.
- The phone system in the Lorain city jail is owned by Securus technologies phone services and any questions regarding phone accounts or blocking numbers from the Lorain city jail must be directed to Securus technologies 1-800-844-6591.
- It is against the Lorain police department policy to divulge warrant information via telephone . If you suspect you have a warrant with the Lorain police department and wish to be seen in court present yourself at the Lorain police department lobby before 8am Monday through Friday.
- All legal information is transferred with any inmate that has been transferred to the Lorain County Jail. If you need any information on inmates at the Lorain County jail please refer all questions to the Lorain county jail booking department at 440 329-3770.
A citizen requesting a record check for employment purposes must bring in a form from his employer; a release form may be required. This service is also done free of charge.
Fees for traffic citations must be paid in the Clerk of Courts Office, located on the 2nd floor of Lorain City Hall. Their business hours are 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday. The Police Department will only accept payment of traffic citations when the Clerk’s Office is closed.
The current wavier schedule listing the cost of fees for traffic citations can be located at the City of Lorain website by clicking THIS LINK.
If for some reason you have had your vehicle towed, you must obtain a vehicle release. This can be picked up at the Record Room. You will need to be sure the vehicle is currently registered and have either the registration or title with you. The Lorain Police Department currently utilizes the services of Ernie’s Towing (288-3567) located at 1923 Elyria Avenue.