New Home Page Police
$ 2,000 REWARD - Mario Whitfield Homicide Please call Detective Chris Kovach at (440) 204-2168 for information on this homicide.
$ 2000 REWARD - Darmis Crawford Homicide Please call Captain Roger Watkins at 440-204-2105 with any information regarding this homicide.
311 Non-Emergency Lorain Police Number Dial 311 from any landline Centurytel phone to be connected directly to our Police Dispatchers
Commend/Complaint If you would like to commend an officer/employee, or if you have a complaint, please call our Office of Professional Standards at 440-204-2116.
Drug Tip Line Drug Tip Line: 440-204-2108
Information on Recent Homicides To provide information on recent homicides or shootings, call Detectives at 440-204-2105.
PUBLIC SAFETY WARNING 21 Overdoses & 3 deaths in 48 hours involving dangerous narcotic being sold as heroin.
Report an Emergency Report an emergency or crime in progress, dial 9-1-1.
Report Non-Emergency To report non-emergency situations or crimes that are not in progress, dial 440-204-2100, or if calling within the City of Lorain on a landline phone, dial 3-1-1
Unsolved Homicide Reward being offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the shooting deaths of two Lorain teenagers, as well as the city's other unsolved homicides.

In Memoriam

Wounded in the Line of Duty


Ptlm. Michael Yuhas and Ptlm. David Rakich

January 9, 1969

Officers Michael Yuhas & David Rakich were both shot on January 9, 1969, in the same incident. The officers were called to investigate a marital dispute by Mrs. Glenna Layne at 1:00 PM. She had filed for divorce from her husband Walter, after he had threatened her at gunpoint several times and abducted her. The officers approached Layne in his auto behind the Saratoga-Brandywine apartment building and ordered him to step out. While Officer Yuhas searched the auto, Officer Rakich frisked Layne. As he was being frisked, Layne pulled out a concealed weapon and fired pointblank at both officers. Officer Rakich was shot once in the back below the right shoulder and Officer Yuhas was wounded in the chest, abdomen, and left arm. Officer Yuhas managed to squeeze off two shots at Layne through the car window as Layne fled the scene. Officer Kosa picked up the officers’ call for help and discovered them slumped over Layne’s car. Officer Kosa then located Layne four blocks away, as he ordered him to stop, Layne fired at the officer. Officer Kosa returned fire with his shotgun. A brief exchange of gunfire followed, leaving Officer Kosa unharmed and Layne with several gunshot wounds. Layne was later convicted on felony charges for his actions and sent to prison.

Both officers were hospitalized and eventually recovered from their wounds. Officer David Rakich returned to duty and served honorably until his retirement in 1993. Officer Michael Yuhas returned to duty, but was forced to retire on disability after he was re-injured in a physical altercation with a suspect.



Officer Thomas DeNicola

July 13, 1982

Officer Thomas DeNicola, a 13 year veteran of the force was shot in the left leg as two men in a stolen car crashed a roadblock on SR 57 and then led police on a high speed chase. It started at about 1:30 AM on July 13, 1982, as Officer DeNicola and his partner, Officer John Daniels, were northbound on SR 57 . They were radioed to set up a roadblock near SR 254 to stop a stolen car and a second car with accomplices. The cruiser with flashers and siren on was used to block the road, and the officers were along the side of the road with weapons drawn. As the first car crashed through the roadblock, Officer DeNicola saw two flashes of light from the passenger side of the vehicle and then felt a burning sensation in his leg, he had been shot. Officer DeNicola then returned fire with his shotgun striking the back of the car. Officer Larry Giese, in pursuit of the vehicles, exceeded speed of 115 mile per hour. At this point several area police agencies joined the chase. The suspect abandoned the vehicle and fled in a wooded area some twenty miles from the shooting scene. Officer Giese pursued on foot with the aid of his dog and the other police agencies and apprehended both suspects. The suspects were later convicted and sent to prison, and Officer DeNicola returned to duty.